You’ve written awesome content and published it to your blog. Excited and passionate about what you just wrote, you check the statistics, and…
You followed all the steps, from crafting an article that fits exactly what the search engine is looking for to proofreading your article until it sounds fresh.
Unfortunately, blogging isn’t as simple as posting and hoping someone will come read your content.
While Google can sometimes index your pages in a few days, it can also take months for some articles to be shuffled into the algorithm. There are many variables in this process, and you might not be able to entirely rely on search engines to drive traffic when you initially post a great blog.
Even though there is no telling how long it will take for Google to finally make your content appear in search engines, luckily there are a few steps that you can take to help get your content read.
Here are a few ways that you can market your blog posts to help increase readership and brand visibility. These are simple strategies that you can start rolling into your content marketing plan this week!
Market on Social Media
If you aren’t on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or whatever the hottest social media platform is, you should consider building one or two social media pages to market your blog posts.
According to Pew Research, 8 out of 10 Americans – roughly 86% – receive news from their smartphone. And many of these smartphones have social media apps installed on them, ready to deliver notifications whenever someone they are following posts something of interest.
Building a few social media pages is one way that you can help get the word out there about your content. After all, branding yourself is important to tell people that you exist, and this can be one way that people discover your blog.
Some tips to keep in mind when choosing social media platforms to market your blog include:
- Demographics. Some social media platforms such as Facebook have a large audience of 25-34 year olds (roughly 25% of the platform!) Other social media platforms such as Pinterest have a large female audience (77.1%). You’ll want to research different social media platforms you’re interested in and find out if you can reach your target audience on there. Choosing the right platform is an important decision because it ensures you’re able to reach the readers you want.
- A consistent post plan. If you create a social media profile and hardly post on it, this can make your blog or business seem inactive. Choose a social media site that you can plan to update 2-3 times a week to make sure that you’re always in the minds of your audience. You can utilize the Facebook scheduler or a tool like Hootsuite to schedule posts in advance.
- Choosing the right messages. People on social media are prone to react to the things that they see. Make sure you read your message to make sure that it fits your brand as well as the theme of what you’re going for. For example, if you want to evoke the feeling of excitement, you’ll want to use different emojis that make people happy. If you’re looking to promote a cause, try utilizing a hashtag that shuffles your post into the algorithm for that content.
Start an Email List
You might think that people only subscribe to email list for coupons and other rewards, but there are surprisingly many people that subscribe to an email list for a blog.
After all, people are looking for writers who answer their questions and talk about their passions. If someone frequently visits your blog, they might be interested in getting the latest updates delivered straight to them digitally.
Starting an email list is a great way for you to reach your audience and advertise for your most recent blog posts. The best part is, it doesn’t take much work to learn some simple HTML and set up an email collection service.
If your website is connected to WordPress, there are many email collection services available to start a list. You can also utilize a service such as Mailchimp to collect subscribers and use their templates to send out newsletters.
Starting an email list is one way that you can notify your loyal readers when they can come read your latest updates. Consider sending out emails weekly or monthly to ensure that you don’t lose a connection to your audience.
Sometimes, marketing your blog posts can be as simple as repurposing your content in a way that contains a link to the original source.
That’s right, you don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time you wake up to market the blog – you just need to be smart about how you define your brand across different mediums.
Repurposing your content can be one way that you find new readers who might be interested in becoming long-time fans of your blog. Some ways you can repurpose your content include:
- Make infographics. While some individuals might not sit down to read a whole blog post, many people will respond to seeing the information presented visually. If you’ve got photoshop experience or are willing to design your own infographic using a program like Canva, you can reach your readers by sharing a visual across your channels.
- Shoot a video. Videos are a great way to engage your audience and find new fans. A video on the topic of your blog post can be created by you or your team to help spread awareness about your brand and help drive people to your website.
- Podcasts. Podcasts are a growing industry, with 32% of Americans listening to podcasts at least once a month. A podcast can be a great way to reach your audience because you can write a script based on the blog designed for listeners.
- Slideshare. You can create a slideshow that visually explains the topic you wrote on a blog post in an easy to read, condensed format. Slideshares are a great way for you to show off your knowledge, and they can easily be used as presentations at company events.
Establish Your Voice Across the Web
Another way you can market your blog posts is by doing a soft sell on other websites. There are many platforms where people are asking questions that might be answered by your blog; this is where you can come in and be an expert.
Some ways that you can establish your voice across the internet and get the word out there includes:
- Guest Post. Guest posting on a similar blog is one way that you can make connections and spread brand visibility. Oftentimes, many blogs will allow guest posters to write a short biography about themselves after a contributed article. This is where you can include a link to your blog. Guest posting is also a great way to meet other bloggers who are trying to grow their brand just like you.
- Commenting on Blogs. There are many blogs out there on the internet where you can add your experience and knowledge. Writing some comments on blog posts where you can add to the discussion can help you establish a name across the web.
- Quora. Quora is a popular question and answer website. You can go on there and add your expertise to topics that you specialize in. While you can’t include the url to your blog on every post because it will be deemed spam, you can include the blog link in your biography.
- Subreddits. Reddit is a popular social media platform with “subreddits” dedicated to many different topics. Much like Quora, you can create an account and start building brand credibility by posting answers to people’s questions.